Small Town Charm: Wilmore, Kentucky
Do you love quaint and quirky small towns? Take a peak into some of our favorite charming small towns- Stay tuned for each new installment!
Wilmore is located just 13 miles south of Lexington, nestled in the rolling green hills of central Kentucky. With a population of only 6,335, Wilmore maintains its own distinct small-town identity, while having the added convenience of being within short driving distance of Lexington.
Charming Small Towns: Wilmore Kentucky
Wilmore is a collegiate town, home of both Asbury University and Seminary. This creates a constantly changing and diverse culture. Pro: These local institutions provide many amenities that are open to the community year-round.
What’s to Love:
- Local Parks: Centennial Park is the largest local park, with a disc golf course, athletic fields, a large picnic pavilion, playground, dog park, and exercise trails, this park has something for the whole family!
- Hiking Trails: Asbury running and hiking trails located behind the Luce Physical Activities Center are more of a nature hike, the Asbury Trail located near the Equine Center is more rugged and features rock formations, while the Centennial park paths are more manicured and paved.
- River Access: If you take a scenic drive through Wilmore towards Highbridge Park (which is a nearby historic site with a great lookout point), you will find river-front views and access (for a fee, open most of the year) for those looking to kayak or canoe.
- Live Music & the Arts: outdoor music concerts downtown during the warmer months, as well as live performances and entertainment at the University during school sessions (most are open to the public for free or minimal cost)
- Recreational Facilities: due to the local educational institutions, Wilmore residents have access to facilities such as a full gym with an indoor pool, outdoor running trails, tennis courts, and much more (membership required). That’s a pretty big deal for a small town! Yoga? Basketball camps? Intramural sports? They have those too!
- Festivals: Wilmore is known for its small local festivals and lawn mower parades (yes, that's a thing!), from art festivals to food festivals. One of the most popular of which is the Wilmore Old Fashioned Christmas, which begins with a large arts and crafts festival during the day and concludes with a sunset tree-lighting on main street, local shop open house events, free food and drinks, live music, and much more!*
- Farmer’s Market: although on a much smaller scale than the big sister city of Lexington, Wilmore’s very own farmer’s market highlights many local products and businesses. The array is surprising: from flower bouquets, grass fed meats, fresh produce, local honey, to local art- and everything in between!*
- Local Shops: No need to go further than main street for a local barbershop, hair salon, florist, gift shops, legal offices, and a small local grocery. Just make sure to check their hours of operation- this small town has limited shopping hours.
- Local Eats: There are a couple coffee shops and cafes, as well as a Chinese restaurant, pizzeria, and a Subway. The options may not be extensive, but the local vibes of each business is charming!
- Schools: Wilmore is in the Jessamine County School System and has a solid "B" rating, according to areavibes.com. Pro tip: make sure you check the school zoning before you buy a house, if that's something important to you, since it can change at any time.
- Healthcare: there’s a local health clinic on main street, an ER less than 12 miles away, and a chiropractic practice - so healthcare is not far away!
- Safety Rating: According to areavibes.com, Wilmore has an A+ crime rating (compared to national averages) . Pro tip: make sure you review local and state law enforcement websites for details related to local safety and crime before heading to the closing table!
Buying a Home in Wilmore:
- Average Home Cost: The average of homes sold in 2020 were approx 1,700 sq ft, selling for an average of $190,000
- Number of Days on Market (DOM): Homes in Wilmore sold in an average of 20 days in the 2020 real estate market. That is about 2x as fast as homes in neighboring communities!
In summary, Wilmore boasts many charming features that appeal to all sorts of demographics. With its relaxed, quirky, and quaint small town vibe - Wilmore also offers some surprising amenities for a town of its size! Housing is also very affordable, compared to the national average. Cons: if you’re looking for bustling nightlife, this is probably not the town for you. Most restaurants, and shops close early during the week and are often entirely closed on Sundays.
Homes in Wilmore are limited in quantity and sell quickly- so make sure that you connect with one of our area specialists to help you find your next home!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this first installment of Kentucky Small Town Charm. Please leave us a comment to suggest your favorite Kentucky small town for a future feature!
Also: check out our recent articles about the real estate market in central Kentucky and let us help you find your next dream home!
*All activities and events are subject to cancelation or change
Post a Comment